General Information: (434) 654-7000 OR 1-800-633-6353
Beans, Tomato and Bell Pepper Salad
1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash spicy seasoning blend
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, minced
Black Bean-Broccoli Slaw
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1½ tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon cumin
1 small clove garlic, crushed
¼ teaspoons black pepper
2 (9-ounce) bags broccoli coleslaw
1 can drained and rinsed black beans
½ cup thinly sliced green onion
1. Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl: lime juice, olive oil, vinegar, honey, cumin, garlic and black pepper. Set aside.
2. Place slaw, black beans and onions in serving bowl. Toss gently with the dressing.
3. Chill for 1 hour or more before serving for the flavors to blend. Makes 4 servings.
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chile (see Cooking Tip*)
2½ cups water
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
4 teaspoons lime juice
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
2. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
4. Makes 4 servings. Recipe Source: www.americanheart.org
*Cook’s Tip: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle chile pepper can be found in the spice section of most supermarkets.