Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a metal baking dish with cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl whisk together 2 cups white wheat flour and 1 tablespoon baking powder. Add 2/3 cup fat-free buttermilk and 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil. Stir together to form soft dough.
- Turn out onto waxed paper and knead the dough about 10 times between the waxed paper.
- Cut into 8-10 medium biscuits and place in prepared pan, with biscuits slightly touching each other. Bake for 10-12 minutes or golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let biscuits sit in pan for 5 minutes. Remove to serving plate or cooling rack.
For sausage gravy:
- In nonstick skillet, crumble ½-pound turkey breakfast sausage, with the casings removed. Brown sausage while turning with a spatula. Remove cooked sausage crumbles and place in bowl; cover to keep warm.
- In small bowl whisk together 3 cups fat-free milk, ¼ cup all-purpose flour and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Pour this into the skillet.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir the mixture often. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring periodically. Cook gently for 15 minutes, or until the gravy thickens. Add back the cook sausage and heat for 5 minutes.
Serve a ladle of gravy over split biscuits. Makes 8 servings.