It’s Heart Month! The American Heart Association suggests “Life’s Simple 7” – seven reminders for living well.
The AHA “Life’s Simple 7”:
- Don’t smoke (of course).
- Get in regular physical activity.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Manage your blood pressure.
- Manage your cholesterol.
- Keep your glucose at a healthy level.
Eating healthy ala American Heart Association:
- Fruits and Vegetables: more than 4½ cups/day
- Oily fish, 2 or more/week
- Whole-grains with high-fiber such as breads, cereal, pasta and rice
- Healthy fats: oils, nuts and nut butters, avocados
- Decrease sweet beverages to less than 450 calories/week
- 4 servings or more/week of nuts, legumes, seeds
Also, some AHA cautions:
- Processed meats: 2 or less servings/week
- Keep sodium: <1,500 mg/day