- Preheat over to 325ºF.
- Spread ¼ cup hummus evenly over 2 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas. Dividing evenly between the 2 pitas, cover the tops with ½ cup fresh baby spinach leaves, ½ cup rinsed, canned black beans and ½ cup artichoke hearts. Sprinkle the tops with ¼ cup reduced-fat shredded cheese.
- Bake in the hot oven for 15 minutes or until pita is toasted and cheese has melted. Let cool and enjoy!
Tips and Suggestions
- Halved whole-grain English muffins work well to replace the pita bread.
- Vary the vegetables with the growing season. Other good toppers: bell pepper strips, thin slices of squash, sliced green onions, green beans, eggplant strips, etc.
- Other legumes work well besides the black beans: garbanzo beans, red kidney beans, white cannellini beans, etc.