If you are like me, you would like to live a long healthy life with a sharp mind – right? So the question is – how can you keep your mind and brain in tiptop shape as you age? Well, your memory can improve, or at least stay intact over time. And the cool thing is that it all seems to come down to your lifestyle habits as you age.
Eat well to protect and improve your brain. Three key dietary pieces:
- fish at least once a week
- LOTS of fruits
- LOTS of vegetables – the less processed and the more colorful, the better!
Other brain-protection tips:
- Be active to protect and improve your brain. Strive for at least 30 minutes of walking or other activity 5 days a week.
- Keep your mind active with book clubs, playing board or card games, needlepoint, studying a language, dancing, etc.
- Maintain an active social life- visit friends, go to church, play cards with a group.
- Keep your blood pressure in excellent control
- Reduce daytime stressors with aerobic exercise, listening to music, mediation, yoga, journaling
- Have adequate sleep each night (a dark and cool bedroom promotes the best sleep).
A couple additional brain protectors…. Don’t smoke and be cautious with alcohol. Heavy drinkers have more brain shrinkage (yikes!).