2 cups dry medium egg noodles (3 ounces)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Vegetable cooking spray
Tomato Meat Sauce
1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef
3 ounces low-fat Italian sausage
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 15-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2/3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 large tomato, diced
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- Cook the noodles as directed on the package; drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Coat a deep-dish 9-inch pie pan with the cooking spray.
- Combine the noodles and egg in the pie pan; mix well. Press into the bottom of the pan to form crust. Set aside.
- Brown the beef, sausage, onions and garlic in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms, red pepper, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and tomato sauce; simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the spinach, ricotta and 2/3 cup mozzarella in a medium-sized bowl. Spread the spinach mixture over the noodles. Spoon the meat sauce over the spinach mixture. Bake 35 minutes.
- Top with the remaining 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Makes 8 servings.
Make your own Italian seasoning. Use any combination of dried basil, oregano, marjoram, parsley and/or sage. Store in a tightly sealed plastic or glass container up to 3 months, or up to 1 year if refrigerated.
Recipe Source: The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics