Martha Jefferson Neuroscience Center now open!
Lime Meringue Pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 10-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Crust: Place 5 full graham cracker sheets in a sealable bag. Crush the crackers into crumbs. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar substitute and 1 tablespoon canola oil. Press into the bottom of the pie pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Cool.
- In saucepan stir together 1 cup sugar substitute, ¼ cup all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 (12.5 ounce) package silken tofu, and 2 cups water. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a whisk until smooth and thickened, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Filling: In a medium mixing bowl, beat 3 egg yolks with an electric mixer. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup of the tofu mixture into the egg yolks. Return the egg-tofu mixture to the saucepan, whisking to blend in. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes. Stir in ½ tablespoon canola oil and the juice of 1 lime or ¼ cup lime juice. Cool 5 minutes. Pour into cooled graham cracker crust.
- Meringue: With electric mixer on high speed, beat 3 egg whites until foamy. Add ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar and continue beating until whites are almost stiff. Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar substitute. Mix on high for 1 minute. Fold in 1 teaspoon coconut extract. Spread the meringue over the top of the pie, all the way to the edges.
- Bake pie for 10 minutes. Refrigerate immediately for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Makes 8 slices.