- In a large saucepan place the following ingredients: 1 cup uncooked brown rice, 8 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken stock, and 1 tablespoon ginger puree. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 40 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Remove from stove and set aside.
- In large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add 1 cup diced onion, 1 cup diced carrots, 1 cup diced celery, 2 chopped cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon turmeric,1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 bay leaf, 2 tablespoons curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 3 cups (1 lb.) sweet corn (thawed, if using frozen). Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in ¼ cup flour to coat the vegetables. Add cooked rice and stock to the soup. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 lb. fresh salmon, cut into 1-inch cubes. Remove pot from stove and let the soup rest for 5-10 minutes to cook the salmon.
- Stir in ½ cup chopped cilantro.
- Serve, and garnish the top with chopped scallions.
Makes 8-10 servings. Recipe source: www.heart.org.