- In saucepan heat 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil over medium heat. Add 2 chopped scallions, 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms (finely chop the stems and thinly slice the caps) and 2 cloves minced garlic. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1cup no-salt-added broth, 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, 1½ tablespoons rice vinegar and ¼ teaspoon red pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine 1½ tablespoons cornstarch in 2 tablespoons cold water until well blended. Add to the soup, and simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
- Stir in 2 cups coarsely chopped bok chop leaves or napa cabbage. Simmer until wilted.
- Stir in 10 ounces well-drained silken extra-firm tofu, cut into ½ -inch chunks. Heat through before serving.
Makes 4 servings.