Back to school already!! Where did summer go? And now lunches are being packed. What you pack is important, because your child needs a nutritious lunch to refuel for the afternoon activities, as well as to give them nutrients for growth and gaining height.
Lunch box protein ideas:
- The traditional – fish, poultry breast and lean meats, low-fat cheese, nuts and nut butters.
- The non-traditional – hummus, legumes, quinoa and tofu.
Lunch box starch ideas:
- The traditional – whole-grain breads, rolls, pita pockets, tortillas and crackers.
- The non-traditional – muffins w/ fruit or veggies, brown rice and pasta salad.
Lunch box essentials:
- Fruit (fresh or light-packed canned) and veggies (raw, veggie juice, marinated cooked veggies)
- A beverage (skim or 1% milk, water)
Lunch box foods are important to meet nutritional needs. But also keep food safe.
- Use a frozen- solid ice pack or juice box to keep food cool.
- Wash out the lunch bag or box every single night with warm sudsy water.
- If a food item comes home that should have been refrigerated, like half a sandwich – sorry, but it needs to be thrown away.