February is Heart Month. The American Heart Association has an interactive website that helps you assess your heart disease risk, and then develop action steps to improve your heart health: www.americanheart.org.
You can also check out the AHA “Heart 360” online health management tool. It lets you track and monitor your blood pressure, cholesterol, blood glucose, weight, physical activity and medications taken. And you will find some great heart healthy recipes at www.americanheart.org.
Another great AHA website for assessing your heart health based on seven simple factors is www.MyLifeCheck.org. These are the areas that you can check out:
- How active are you? The goal is more than 150 minutes each week.
- What is your Total Cholesterol? It should be less than 200 mg/dl.
- How is your Blood Pressure? The goal is less than 120/80.
- How is your weight? The goal is to stay lean, especially in the tummy.
- What is your glucose level? Fasting glucose should be 70-99.
- Do you smoke? The goal is no smoking at all.
- Do you make healthy food choices? Aim for lots of fruits, veggies and whole-grains. More fish and less red meat. Healthy oils such as olive and canola oils. Less sugar and processed foods.