New Year’s Eve parties are going to be in full swing. Parties and gatherings usually feature special foods, and often they are made with rich, fatty, calorie-laden ingredients. How to survive without gaining weight or seeing your blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol go off the charts? Moderation in everything is a pretty good rule of thumb.
Here are some holiday party survival tips to save calories:
- Drink calorie-free: water, seltzer water, diet sodas.
- Focus on munchies with fruits & veggies.
- Make dips w/ low-fat ingredients: sour cream, cream cheese, etc.
- Focus on the healthy fats such as olives, nuts, & fish (salmon spread, smoked salmon).
- Low-fat cheese & multi-grain crackers.
- Ground turkey breast meatballs.
- Turkey breast & deli ham roll-ups.
New Year’s Eve parties are lots of fun, and you don’t want to spend your time fretting about your food intake. It is a special time with family and friends but you can maintain reasonable eating even at the merriest of gatherings. Other tips:
- Plan to eat your usual meals & snacks on the day of the party so that you are not starved by party time.
- Add in an extra long walk on the day of the party.