Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In saucepan, stir together 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth and 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat cover.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Drain off any extra liquid.
- Cut 2 large red bell peppers in half and remove the seeds.
- Place in baking dish, cut side up.
- In mixing bowl stir together 2 chopped plum tomatoes, ½ cup shredded zucchini, ½ cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 egg or ¼ cup egg substitutes, ¼ cup finely chopped red onion, 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary, and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir in cooked barley.
- Spoon barley mixture into the pepper halves.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle reduced-fat mozzarella cheese over the tops; return to oven to melt cheese.
- Transfer peppers to serving platter.
Makes 4 servings.
* The stuffed peppers can be served plain or with a warm marinara sauce drizzled over the top.