Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In the baking pan, stir together 1 small peeled sweet potato (cut into ½-inch cubes), 1 small red bell pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces), 1 small parsnip peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces and 1 small red onion (cut into 1-inch strips). Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon black pepper and then lightly spray with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Stir the vegetables and lightly spray again with cooking spray. Bake for another 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Cook 1 minced garlic clove, ¼ teaspoon dried and crumbled oregano and ¼ teaspoon dried and crumbled basil for 15 seconds. Stir in ¼ cup uncooked, quick-cooking barley. Increase heat to medium and cook for 30 seconds to lightly toast.
- Slowly stir in ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth, adding 2 tablespoons at a time, stirring constantly and waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding the next 2 tablespoons. Stir in ½ cup more of vegetable broth all at one time. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese. Spoon onto plates. Top with oven-roasted vegetables.
Makes 2 servings.
Recipe from Diabetes & Heart Healthy Meals for Two from the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association.