- In saucepan heat 1 T. olive oil. Sauté 2 cups chopped apples, 2 peeled and chopped large potatoes, ¼ cup finely chopped celery, ¼ cup chopped onion and 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup white wine and 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth. Simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Pour soup, in small batches, into food processor to blend until smooth.
- Pour blended soup back into saucepan; stir in 4 cups grated low-fat cheddar cheese, ½ cup fat-free half & half cream, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon white pepper.
- Cook over low heat until flavors have blended and soup has thickened. Do not bring to a boil.
- Serve in soup bowls with diced green onions and diced Granny Smith apples sprinkled on the top.
Makes 8 servings