- In a large saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add 1 small chopped red onion and 1 teaspoon minced garlic; sauté to cook until slightly tender.
- Stir in 4 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth and 1 (2-ounce) jar rinsed and drained pimientos.
- Increase heat to bring the soup to a simmer.
- Stir in ½ cup dried orzo or other small pasta.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup chopped broccoli florets, 1 teaspoon crumbled dried basil, 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Sprinkle each serving of soup with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 servings