- In a large saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Cook ¼ cup chopped red onion and 1 medium minced clove of garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth and 1 (2-ounce) jar drained and rinsed diced pimentos.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in ¼ cup dried orzo and 1 tablespoon imitation bacon bits.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 3 minutes or until the orzo is almost tender.
- Stir in 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli florets, 1 teaspoon crumbled dried basil, 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the broccoli and orzo are tender.
- Ladle into 4 bowls.
- Sprinkle with reduced-fat Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 servings
Source: Light & Easy Recipes, American Heart Association, February 2008.