- Rinse 2 (16-ounce) cans of beans in a colander and let sit for a minute to drain. (Beans can be pinto, kidney, cannellini and/or black beans)
- In a serving bowl toss together the beans, 2 cups shredded dark leaf lettuce or baby spinach, 2 stalks finely sliced celery, 1 small diced red onion and 1 small chopped red bell pepper.
- In a jar with a lid shake together 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil, 3 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons minced cilantro or flat-leaf parsley and 1 teaspoon minced garlic.
- Toss with the dressing and refrigerate until serving time.
- Before serving lightly toss the salad with ½ cup reduced-fat shredded cheese such as Swiss or cheddar.
Makes 8 servings