- Place 2 cups water and 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth into large soup pot.
- Add 1 lb. lean, trimmed stew beef, cut into bite size pieces.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to simmering. Heat for 30 minutes.
- Add 1 medium chopped yellow onion, 2 stalks finely chopped celery, 2 medium thinly sliced carrots and 1 cup uncooked barley. Stir all ingredients to combine and bring soup to a boil again.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add ¼ teaspoon black pepper and ½ teaspoon crushed thyme before serving.
- Add more water or broth to get to desired consistency.
Makes 8 servings