Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In mixing bowl stir together 2 cups flour, 3 Tb. Sugar or sugar substitute, 1 Tb. baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- With a knife or pastry blender cut into the flour 6 Tb. trans fat-free margarine.
- Stir in 1½ cups fresh blueberries and 1 teaspoon lemon zest. In small bowl whisk together 2 eggs or ½ cup egg substitute and 1/3 cup nonfat buttermilk.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the middle of the flour mixture.
- Stir together lightly with a fork until combine ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 2 to 3 times to mix together.
- Pat into a square and cut into smaller squares but do not separate.
- Transfer onto a baking sheet coated with vegetable cooking spray.
- Sprinkle top with sugar.
- Bake in preheated 400-degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
- To serve: Cut individual squares in half and top with warm blueberry sauce.
- In saucepan stir together 1 cup fresh blueberries ¼ cup sugar or sugar substitute, the zest of 1 lemon and 2 Tb. freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Heat and simmer to slightly thicken.
Serve over scones, blueberries, waffles or low-fat ice cream.