Preheat oven to 350 degree., Coat 1 12-cup Bundt pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- In medium bowl whisk together 3 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon ground cloves and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together with an electric mixer ¾ cup sugar, ½ cup canola oil, 1 large egg, 1 large egg white and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until smooth.
- Beat in 1 (12-ounce) jar or 1 cup all-fruit seedless blackberry jam and ½ cup unsweetened applesauce.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture and 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, alternating between the two.
- Begin and end with the flour, beating on medium after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a cooling rack.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Turn the cake onto the rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Transfer to a cake plate.
- In small bowl stir together ½ cup Confectioners’ sugar and 2 T. maple syrup.
- Stir in 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup a few drops at a time until the icing is pourable but not too thin.
- Drizzle over the cooled cake before slicing.
Makes 16 slices.
From the American Heart Association Light and Easy Recipes cookbook.