Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13-9 inch pan with vegetable cooking spray. Dust lightly with flour; shake off the excess.
- In large bowl sift together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1¾ cups sugar or sugar substitute, ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 T. baking soda. Whisk in 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1 cup low-fat buttermilk and 2 T. canola oil.
- In saucepan bring 1 cup strong coffee to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir gently into batter; mixture will be soupy.
- Pour into baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool completely and frost, or dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
- In top of double boiler stir together 1½ cups sugar, 1/3 cup water, the whites of 2 large eggs and ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar. With electric mixer beat on high speed for 1 minute.
- Put over boiling water (don’t let the water touch the top of the double boiler) and beat on high speed for 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Remove top of double boiler from heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes or until it is of spreading consistency.
- Spread evenly on cooled cake.
Recipe Source: The New American Heart Association Cookbook.