Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a baking sheet with canola cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together 2 cups self-rising flour and ½ cup sugar. Stir in 1 cup diced fresh strawberries and 1 cup blueberries. Make a well in the center.
- In smaller bowl stir together ½ cup reduced-fat buttermilk, ½ teaspoon almond extract, and 1 T. corn oil.
- Pour liquid mixture into the well of the dry ingredients.
- Stir with a fork, just until combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Flour your hands and shape each half into a ball.
- Place the two balls on the baking sheet, about 5 inches apart.
- Flatten each into a 6-inch disk.
- Using a pizza cutter, score each disk into 8 wedges, but don’t cut all the way through.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on a cooking rack.
- Separate the wedges with a knife.
- While scones are cooling, in a small bowl whisk together 1/3 cup Confectioners’ sugar, 2 teaspoons fat-free milk, and /18 teaspoon almond extract. Drizzle the glaze over the scones.
Makes 16 scones.