Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13×9-inch metal baking pan with cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, empty the contents of 1 (18.25-ounce) yellow cake mix.
- Using the package direction, substitute 1¼ cups water, ¾ cup egg substitute, 1 (5-ounce) jar baby food pears and 2 T. canola oil for the ingredients called for on the package.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 27 minutes or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack. Let cake cool completely, at least 1 hour.
- In large bowl gently stir together 1 quart of fresh, quartered strawberries and 1 pint fresh blueberries.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave ½ cup all-fruit apricot spread on 100% power (high) for 1 minute or until melted.
- Stir in 1 T. grated and peeled ginger root.
- Spoon over the berries, gently stirring until blended.
- Spoon berry mixture over the cooled cake, spreading it lightly to cover the surface.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
Makes 20 servings.
Recipe Source: Light & Easy Recipes from the American Heart Association.