- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large saucepan.
- Add 1 cup diced red onion, 1 cup thinly sliced carrots, 2 stalks sliced celery, 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms and 2 teaspoons minced garlic.
- Mix together and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, ½ cup uncooked quick-cooking barley, 6 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast and 1 bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Before serving discard the bay leaf.
- Stir in the juice of 1 fresh lemon; sprinkle each serving with chopped fresh parsley.
Makes 8 servings.
Source: Diabetic Cooking, Jan/Feb 2010