Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In mixing bowl beat 1 egg with a fork or use ¼ cup egg substitute. Stir in ½ cup skim milk, ¼ cup vegetable oil (or ¼ cup baby fruit) and 2 T. fresh lemon juice. Add in 1 cup finely chopped fresh peeled apple and ¼ cup chopped pecans (optional).
- In another mixing bowl stir together 1¼ cups flour, ¾ cup quick-cooking oats, ½ cup packed light brown sugar or brown sugar substitute-for-baking, 1½ teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Pour liquid ingredients into flour mixture all at one time.
- Stir gently just until moistened. Batter will be lumpy.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups that have been coated with vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 -20 minutes or until tops are golden.
- Cool slightly.
Makes 12 muffins.