- To make custard: In a double boiler whisk together 1 cup fat-free milk, ½ cup sugar or sugar substitute, ¼ cup egg substitute, 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 Tbsp. cornstarch and 1 Tbsp. flour.
- Set over simmering water. Cook for 3-4 minutes, whisking occasionally until mixture starts to thicken.
- Whisk constantly until custard is thick and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and cook for 1 minute, whisking occasionally.
- Remove top of double boiler and let custard cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Place plastic wrap directly on the custard and refrigerate for up to four days.
- Cut half of a 9-inch angel food cake into 6 slices; cut each slice in half crosswise.
- Place 1 slice of cake on dessert plate.
- Arrange 3 thinly sliced kiwi slices on the cake. Spread ¼ cup custard over the kiwi.
- Place the other half of the cake slice on top of the kiwi.
- Spread ¼ cup custard over the cake.
- Top with 3-4 slices of kiwi.
- Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. strawberry glaze or top with sliced fresh strawberries.
- Top with 1 Tbsp. frozen (thawed) nonfat whipped topping.
- Repeat with remaining slices of angel food cake.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: The New American Heart Association Cookbook