The American Academy of Pediatrics is concerned about unhealthy kids and overweight kids and kids with adult diseases, like type 2 diabetes. New healthy living guidelines have been issued from this organization. Here are their tips to parents:
- Serve 3 meals and healthy snacks at regular times. Kids like routine and structure to their day.
- Make sure your kids eat breakfast. Cereals should have less than 10 grams of sugar and 2 or more grams of fiber per serving.
- Serve fish often (weekly). Your children are more likely to learn to like fish.
- Switch the family to low-fat dairy products.
- Include at least 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables.
- Keep sugared and sweetened drinks out of the house. Serve milk and water.
- Have more meals at home and less fast food.
- And have family dinners.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that kids get at least 1 hour of physical activity each day, and that screen time should be limited to 2 hours or less (that is TV and computer screen time!)