Moist Lightened-Up Carrot Cake
Ingredients3 cups whole wheat pastry flour2 teaspoons baking powder1 teaspoon baking soda¼ teaspoon salt (optional)1 teaspoon ground cinnamon1 cup unsweetened applesauce1 cup sugar or sugar substitute-sugar blend3 eggs or ¾ cup egg substitutes2 tablespoons vegetable oil1 teaspoon vanilla1/3 cup orange juice1 tablespoon grated orange peel3 cups finely shredded carrotsDirections
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 12x9-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray, and then lightly dust with flour.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in medium mixing bowl.
- In another bowl whisk together applesauce, sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla, orange peel and orange juice. Add flour mixture to applesauce mixture; stir until well blended. Fold in carrots. Pour into baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes away clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting: In bowl mix together 8 ounces nonfat cream cheese and ¼ cup sugar or sugar substitute. Spread evenly over the cake. Makes 12-16 servings.