¼ cup old-fashioned or quick oats
¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 (18-ounce) package spice cake mix
1¼ cups water
3 eggs or ¾ cup egg substitutes
1 cup solid-pack pumpkin
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg or apple pie spice
½ teaspoon vanilla or butter flavoring
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 48 mini muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- Toast oats and coconut in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 3-4 minutes or until coconut starts to brown, stirring constantly. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Combine cake mix, water and eggs in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at low speed 30 seconds or until moistened. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bottom and side of bowl.
- Add pumpkin, nutmeg and vanilla; beat until well blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Sprinkle the oat-coconut mixture evenly over the top of the batter. Bake 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes to racks; cool completely. Store in tightly sealed container. Makes 48 cupcakes.
- Recipe from Diabetic Cooking, summer 2013.