Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken Breasts
4 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
½ teaspoon ground thyme
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash salt-free seasoning
1 beaten egg white or 3 tablespoons commercial egg whites
vegetable cooking spray
- Pour buttermilk into ziplock bag. Add chicken pieces and marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In bowl stir together the panko and all dry seasonings. Place in pie plate. Pour the beaten egg white into another pie plate. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk marinade – do not rinse. Dredge first in egg white, and then the bread crumb mixture. Place pieces in baking dish.
- Spray the tops and sides of the coated chicken breast pieces with cooking spray.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven, turn the pieces and coat the tops with cooking spray. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes or until coating is crispy. Makes 4 servings. Recipe adapted from Diabetes Self-Management magazine.