Baked Beans, Sugar-Free Style
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil1 ½ cups onion, chopped? cup celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1 cup water
¼ cup sugar-free maple syrup
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 dash hot pepper sauce
4 ½ cups cooked navy beans (canned and drained)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat and add onions and celery. Cook for 8 minutes until translucent, then add garlic.
- Stir in tomatoes, water, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, pepper sauce, and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir in beans and pour into a large baking dish.
- Bake for one hour. Add water if needed.
Makes 6 servings