Asian Brown Rice-Peanut Salad
1½ cups water
¾ cup uncooked brown rice
2/3 cup dry-roasted peanuts
1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 cup snow peas
½ cup chopped red onion
½ cup chopped green bell pepper
¼ cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Bring water to a boil over high heat in medium saucepan. Stir in rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered for 10 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Pour cooked rice into strainer. Rinse under cold water; drain well.
- Place small skillet over medium-high heat. Add peanuts; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until beginning to turn brown. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add water chestnuts, snow peas, onion, bell pepper and cranberries to the peanuts. Stir in the rice.
- In small bowl whisk together vinegar, honey, soy sauce and pepper flakes. Add dressing to rice salad. Toss to coat. Makes 6 (1 cup) servings.