How do Americans feel about their health? Every year there is a Food & Health Survey to look at consumer knowledge and attitudes toward nutrition/ health. This info helps our health organizations map out educational plans for disease prevention.
Food & Health Survey Results:
- 25% of those who were overweight thought they were at any ideal weight; 76% of those who were obese thought they were just overweight.
- There are 3 barriers to losing weight: 1) lack of will power, 2) lack of time, and 3) not seeing results quickly.
- Folks are unaware of calorie needs BUT they do pay attention to reducing trans fat and increasing fiber intake.
- Why do Americans buy the foods that they do? #1 Taste, #2 Price, #3 Healthfulness, and #4 Convenience.
- Young adults (ages 18-24 years) are concerned about their weight because of appearance. Older adults (65 years and older) shift their concerns about weight to a health perspective.
- Folks are trying to reduce their sugar intake, especially of high fructose corn syrup.