Whole Wheat-Cornmeal Muffins
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
Makes 12 muffins.
- In a small bowl stir together 6 tablespoons canola oil and 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Add 1¼ cups skim milk and 1 egg or ¼ cup egg substitute.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together 1 cup whole wheat flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and 4 teaspoons baking powder. Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring quickly until mixed. Do not beat. Add 1 cup cornmeal to the batter and stir gently just until mixed.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in muffin tin for a few minutes before placing muffins on a wire rack.
Adapted from the American Heart Association cookbook.