For many years the American Heart Association has suggested that egg yolks be limited to 3 per week. A recent study 1,200 folks suggests that we might want to heed the AHA suggestions.
- For those people who ate 3 or more egg yolks per week, there was slightly more plaque in arteries.
- Folks who had 2 egg yolks per week or less had much less plaque.
There is nothing like a poached egg on toast or an egg salad sandwich. But many times, egg whites will work very nicely in place of the whole egg.
- In baking, 2 egg whites = 1 whole egg.
- ¼ cup commercial egg substitutes replaces 1 whole egg in recipes.
- Egg whites or commercial egg whites or egg substitutes can be used for meatloaf, meatballs, French toast, quick breads, muffins, pancakes, cakes and cookies.
This study published in the journal Atherosclerosis
showed that independent of smoking, cholesterol, blood pressure having diabetes, and body mass index, eating more egg yolks per week slightly increased plaque in the arteries.