Makes 4 servings.
- In a soup pot heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add 1 medium diced yellow onion, 1 minced garlic clove, 2 medium diced fresh tomatoes, 1 medium peeled, diced white potato, 1 peeled, diced carrot and 2 thinly sliced celery stalks.
- Stir in 5 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth, 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard, 1 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon dried basil, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain 1 large can chick peas and blend in food processor. Stir into the soup to add thickness.
- Drain another large can of chick peas and stir into the soup.
- Bring to medium heat, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ten minutes before serving stir in 1 cup frozen green peas and/or 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves.