Makes 6 servingsSource: Low-Salt Cookbook, 3rd Edition, American Heart Association
- Lightly spray a large saucepan with vegetable oil spray.
- Heat over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons canola oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Cook 2 large chopped onions, 2 chopped medium green bell peppers and 2 minced cloves of garlic for 8 minutes or until the peppers are soft, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat if necessary to prevent burning.
- Stir in 2 cups water, 1 cup no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes, 1 cup uncooked bulgur, 2 T. ground cumin, 1 T.+ 1½ teaspoons chili powder, 1 T. fresh lemon juice, ½ teaspoon black pepper and ¼ teaspoon cayenne.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 45-60 minutes or until the bulgur is done and the flavors have blended.
- Stir in 2 (16-ounce) no-salt-added kidney beans that have been rinsed and drained.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.