Makes 6 servings
- In a saucepan heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add ½ cup chopped red onion, 1 chopped celery stalk and 1 teaspoon minced garlic for 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in 2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, 1 (15-ounce) can drained and rinsed Great northern beans, 1 (14.5-ounce) can undrained no-salt-added diced tomatoes, 1 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano, ½ teaspoon crumbled dried thyme and ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups fresh baby spinach. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle the tops with grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese.
Source: The American Heart Association Light and Easy Recipes Cookbook