Makes 6 servings.
- Coat a large pot with cooking spray. Add 4 ounces lean diced Canadian bacon, pork chop or ham. Cook for a few minutes to brown and remove to a small plate.
- Spray pot again with cooking spray. Add 1 cup diced yellow onion, 2 thinly sliced carrots, and 1 thinly sliced celery stalk. Cook for several minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add 3 cups water and 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add 2 cups diced red-skin potatoes, 2 bay leaves and ½ teaspoon dried tarragon. Return to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes with pot covered.
- Stir in 1 (15-ounce) can rinsed and drained navy beans or 2 cups pre-cooked dried navy beans. Add cooked Canadian bacon/pork or ham, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1½ teaspoons liquid smoke and ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes before serving.