The White: Baked Potato Soup
Makes 8 servings
- Heat 1 T. canola oil in large soup pot. Add 1 finely chopped yellow onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until softened.
- Add 3 strips turkey bacon, finely chopped. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add 6 large baking potatoes that have been peeled and diced, and stir well.
- Add in 3 (14.5-ounce) cans of reduced sodium chicken broth, 1 bay leaf and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Remove 4 cups of soup and puree in food processor or blender.
- Pour pureed soup back into the soup pot; whisk in 1½ cups fat-free half and half cream.
- Heat for 10 minutes over medium high heat - do not boil.
- Pour hot soup into soup mugs.
- Top with chopped green onions and a sprinkle of reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese.