- Rinse and drain 1 large can of sweet potatoes. Cut into smaller chunks and place in mixing bowl.
- Add ½ finely chopped small onion, 3 egg whites, 2 T. all-purpose flour and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Stir together until mixed thoroughly. (This mixture can also be blended in the food processor for a finer texture, if desired.)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons canola oil.
- Spoon 1/3 cup potato batter into skillet.
- Cook pancakes for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Repeat, using all of the remaining batter.
Serve warm with fruit chutney.Makes 12 pancakesApple Chutney
Makes 1½ cups.
- In saucepan stir together 1 cup chunky natural applesauce, ½ cup drained canned tart cherries,, 2 T. Splenda sugar substitute, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, ½ teaspoon lemon zest, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm over the sweet potato pancakes.