Sweet Potato Casserole with Oat Topping
6 cups water
1¾ lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
½ cup sugar substitute or sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ cup cholesterol-free egg substitute (or 1 egg)
¼ cup reduced-fat soft tub margarine or butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
¼ cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup flaked coconut
1/3 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In large saucepan bring water to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes, return to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 18-20 minutes or until very tender when pierced with a fork. Drain in colander, shaking off excess liquid.
- In small bowl, combine the topping ingredients, except syrup. Set aside.
- Place potatoes in large bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed. Beat until smooth. Add sugar substitute, cinnamon, nutmeg, egg substitute, margarine/butter and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Coat a 9-inch glass deep-dish pan with cooking spray. Spoon potato mixture into pan. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over all. Bake 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To serve, drizzle syrup evenly over the casserole. Makes 8 servings.