Makes 6-8 servingsNote: If desired, other fresh vegetable can be added to this soup: chopped celery, carrots, etc. Meatless meals, such as this bean soup, can help lighten-up the calories at a meal.
- In a large saucepan, sauté 1 medium diced onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender.
- Add 1 diced green pepper and sauté until tender.
- Add 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, along with 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, ½ cup mild or medium salsa or picante sauce, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro and 2 tablespoons lime juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse 2 (16-ounce) cans black beans.
- Add to soup and heat through.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.