Old-Fashioned Vegetable-Barley Soup
Makes 4 servings
- Lightly coat a large Dutch oven with vegetable oil spray. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Cook ½ medium chopped onion and ½ medium chopped rib of celery over medium-high heat until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 minced garlic clove and cook for 10 seconds.
- Stir in 1 (14.5-ounce) undrained can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, 1½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth, 1 cup chopped kale, ½ cup water, ¼ cup uncooked quick-cooking barley, ½ teaspoon crumbled dried basil, ½ teaspoon crumbled dried oregano and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 12 minutes or until barley is cooked.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Source: 43 Healthy Soul Food Recipes
by the AHA