Middle Eastern Grilled Veggie Pitas
Ingredients1 large eggplant (~ 1 lb.), peeled, cut crosswise into 3/8-inch slicesvegetable cooking spray¾ lb. large fresh mushrooms1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cored and quartered1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, cored and quartered2 green onions, sliced¼ cup fresh lemon juice1/8 teaspoon black pepper4 whole-grain pita pockets, cut in half½ cup hummus1/3 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro16 large basil leaves16 large fresh mint leavesDirections
- Prepare barbecue grill for direct cooking.
- Lightly spray eggplant slices with cooking spray. Place in grilling basket with mushrooms.
- Grill bell peppers, skins-side down, over hot coal until skins are blackened. Place in paper bag; seal. Steam 5 minutes; remove skin.
- Grill eggplant and mushrooms, covered, over medium coals about 2 minutes on each side or until tender and lightly browned. Cut eggplant and peppers into ½ -inch strips; cut mushrooms into quarters. Combine vegetables, onions, lemon juice and black pepper in bowl.
- Spread hummus on the inside of each pita half. Layer with basil and mint leaves. Evenly divide the vegetables between the pita halves. Makes 4 servings.