One day before serving:
Makes 8-10 servings
- Slice 1 lb. of Italian reduced-fat turkey sausage into ½-inch chunks.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Add sausage and cook until evenly browned on all sides.
- Remove to a plate and cool thoroughly.
- Then place in a container with a lid. Add roasted red pepper strips that have been cut into thick chunks.
- Add 1 medium red onion cut into chunks.
- In a small bowl whisk together the marinade dressing: ¼ cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel, 1/3 cup freshly squeeze lemon juice, 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil, 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning blend and 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic.
- Pour dressing over the sausage, peppers and onions. Cover with tight lid and refrigerate until serving time.
- To serve: Drain the sausage, peppers and onions, reserving the dressing.
- Place on large serving platter.
- Can add marinated artichokes, black olives, and other vegetables, if desired.
- Can also add provolone cheese chunks.
- Drizzle the top with the lemon dressing or serve dressing separately on the side in small pitcher.