"Kids Eat Right" Italian Beef and Spinach Pie
IngredientsCrust2 cups dry medium egg noodles (3 ounces)1 large egg, lightly beatenVegetable cooking sprayTomato Meat Sauce1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef3 ounces low-fat Italian sausage1 small onion, chopped2 cloves garlic, chopped1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced1 medium red bell pepper, diced2 teaspoons Italian seasoning1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)1/4 teaspoon pepper1 15-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauceSpinach Layer1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry2/3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, dividedTopping1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese1 large tomato, diced1/4 cup fat-free sour creamDirections
- Cook the noodles as directed on the package; drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Coat a deep-dish 9-inch pie pan with the cooking spray.
- Combine the noodles and egg in the pie pan; mix well. Press into the bottom of the pan to form crust. Set aside.
- Brown the beef, sausage, onions and garlic in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms, red pepper, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and tomato sauce; simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the spinach, ricotta and 2/3 cup mozzarella in a medium-sized bowl. Spread the spinach mixture over the noodles. Spoon the meat sauce over the spinach mixture. Bake 35 minutes.
- Top with the remaining 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Makes 8 servings.
Make your own Italian seasoning. Use any combination of dried basil, oregano, marjoram, parsley and/or sage. Store in a tightly sealed plastic or glass container up to 3 months, or up to 1 year if refrigerated.Recipe Source: The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics