IBS. Do you know what that stands for? Irritable Bowel Syndrome. And about 20% of folks in the U.S. experience this uncomfortable condition. Most have a number of symptoms in the gastrointestinal tract from the spasms and cramping that can occur in the colon. The Risk Factors for IBS:
Common IBS Triggers
- Maybe genetics????
- Lots of stress.
- It occurs in more women than men.
- Fatty and greasy foods
- Carbonated drinks
- Gum (air gets in the gut)
- Large meals or overeating
- Anti-spasmodic meds
- Avoidance “trigger” foods
- Moderate fiber (not high fiber)
- Plenty of fluids, especially water
- Small meals and small healthy snacks
- Daily stress relievers: daily walk, deep breathing exercises, a good chat with a friend