Coat a large skillet with vegetable oil cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
Makes 20 small servings.
- Cut up 1 lb. reduced-fat or turkey sausage into small pieces and add to the skillet, along with 1 medium chopped onion and 1 medium chopped green bell pepper.
- Sauté to brown the sausage.
- Cook until onion and peppers are tender.
- Pour into a colander to drain off fat.
- Pour the sausage mixture into a slow cooker.
- Add 2 (26-ounce) jars marinara sauce, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook over LOW heat for 3 hours.
- Serve hot with chunks of whole-grain Italian bread.